Foredrag om god stil i C++11 med Bjarne Stroustrup, 2. maj

IMM, DTU og KLID inviterer til foredrag

Bjarne Stroustrup: Writing good code in C++11

Onsdag d 2. maj 2012 kl 19:00 hos DTU, bygning 341, aud 21, Lyngby

Bjarnes oplæg:

We know how to write bad code: Litter our programs with casts, macros,
pointers, naked new and deletes, and complicated control structures.
Alternatively (or in addition), obscure every design decision in a mess
of deeply nested abstractions using the latest object-oriented
programming and generic programming tricks. For good measure, complicate
our algorithms with interesting special cases. Such code is
incomprehensible, unmaintainable, usually inefficient, and not uncommon.

But how do we write good code? What principles, techniques, and idioms
can we exploit to make it easier to produce quality code? I will make an
argument for type-rich interfaces, compact data structures, integrated
resource management and error handling, and highly-structured
algorithmic code. I will illustrate my ideas and motivate my guidelines
with a few idiomatic code examples.

I will use C++11 freely. Examples include auto, general constant
expressions, uniform initialization, type aliases, type safe threading,
and user-defined literals. C++ features are only just starting to appear
in production compilers, so some of my suggestions have the nature of
conjecture. However, developing a "modern style" is essential if we
don't want to maintain newly-written 1970s and 1980s style code in 2020.

This presentation reflects my thoughts on what "Modern C++" should mean
in the 2010s: a language for programming based on light-weight
abstraction with a direct and efficient mapping to hardware, suitable
for infrastructure code.

Bjarne har lavet en beskrivelse der ligger på
http://www.klid.dk/arrangementer/C++11-style-bjarne.pdf

Bjarne Stroustrup er professor på Texas A&M University, USA, og
opfinderen af programmingsproget C++.

Foredraget bliver holdt til minde om Dennis Ritchie, som er opfinderen af
programmeringssproget C, og sammen med Ken Thompson opfinder af
styresystemet UNIX.

Mødet er gratis for alle. Det koster 50 kr ved tilmelding efter d. 1 maj.
Tilmelding på: http://klid.dk/arrangementer/tilmelding.php3?o=sl&eventid=1334898577

Videresend gerne invitationen til andre.

Vel mødt.
Henrik Madsen og Keld Simonsen

Se videoer fra tidligere møder på http://ftp.klid.dk/ftp/video/
Bl.a. videoer fra Open Source Days 2012:
http://ftp.klid.dk/ftp/video/2012-03-10-osd/

Questions about the web-pages to <www_admin>. Last modified 2012-05-01, 02:01 CEST [an error occurred while processing this directive]