KLID: Foredrag om store Linux-klynger 28. marts

KLID indbyder til  foredrag om store klynger af maskiner på Linux
fx til drift af store web-servere, med Kenneth Geisshirt,  Netgroup A/S.

Det holdes den 28. marts 2001 kl 19-21 på Symbion, Fruebjergvej 3, 2100 Ø

Tilmelding bedes venligst foretaget på:
http://www.klid.dk/arrangementer/tilmelding.php3?eventid=984165274

Mødet er gratis ved forhåndstilmelding for medlemmer af KLID, og
andre foramedlemmer af DKUUG, incl SSLUG. For ikke-medlemmer
koster der 50 kr, Uden tilmelding koster det 50 kr ekstra.

Kenneth har givet følgende introduktion:

Hardware is getting faster and cheaper all the time which makes it
more attractive to build supercomputers and high-availability
solutions using commodity hardware instead of buying expensive
solutions from classic UNIX vendors.

By building a GNU/Linux based cluster we wished to achive three goals:
   i) High-availability
  ii) Scalability
 iii) Cost-effective

We will in our presentation discuss the achitecture, the
implementation and daily administration of a high-availability cluster
based on the GNU/Linux operating system and commodity
hardware. Moreover, we will report performance measurements and we
will outline our procedures for upgrading system software including
the kernel.

Our experiences with commodity hardware cluster, Linux and
free software are gathered from our webhosting facility located in
Copenhagen, Denmark. We have migrated from SGI Origin 200 servers with
a external RAID system to a cluster of large personal computers withou
any special hardware or software. The cluster has currently 12 nodes,
each node in the cluster consists of an Athlon processor running at 800
MHz, 768 MB memory and 300 GB disk space.

Netgroup A/S hosts more than 250 web sites containing more than 50 GB
of data. The traffic is excess of 100 GB per day. A number of web site
are dynamically generated and they depend heavily on access to the
relational database MySQL.

Kenneth Geisshirt, Ph.D.   mailto:sslug@sslug
Grøndals Parkvej 2A, 3.    http://kenneth.geisshirt.dk
DK-2720 Vanløse                        +45 38 87 78 38

Questions about the web-pages to <www_admin>. Last modified 2005-08-10, 20:32 CEST [an error occurred while processing this directive]